Exercise is a physical activity that keeps your body fit and healthy. Broadly described, exercises are classified into two types, aerobic and anaerobic. With aerobic exercise, oxygen is the key element. It enters the body and helps your cells produce carbon dioxide, water, and energy. This occurs due to the repeated movements of large muscle groups in the body. There are nearly 700 muscles in a human body each of which is unique in its shape and function.
Working out your muscles and causing them wear and tear results in your body building more muscle mass. In simple terms, aerobic exercises are used to burn fat and improve the cardiac health whereas anaerobic exercises are used to tone and shape your muscles. Various types of anaerobic exercises can be performed to shape the muscles in your shoulders, biceps, abdomen, thighs, hip, etc. by using a pair of dumbbells. Although dumbbells are most often used to tone biceps, they can also be held at various positions to tone other muscles of your body. Let’s discuss some of the workouts which can be done by using dumbbells.
Note: Before starting your exercise routine make sure you wear the right set of shoes for exercise, hand grips, supporters, and also choose some good quality exercise wear which makes it easy and comfortable for you to perform your daily workout.
1. Goblet Squat
A squat is a simple sit, done by bending your knees. A specialized squat will always be better than a simple squat which is basically equivalent to sit-ups. A goblet squat is a specialized squat which concentrates on muscles like biceps, hamstrings, quads, and gluteus. Let’s do it.
- Stand tall and keep your chest and back flat with your legs apart.
- Hold a dumbbell or kettlebell in the vertical position near your chest with its head in between the palm of your hands.
- Now, sit gradually until the top portion of your thighs come parallel to the ground.
- Slowly raise and move to the initial position. Repeat these steps to gain astonishing results.
2. Dumbbell Squat
A dumbbell squat is one that strengthens the lower portion of your body. It also provides strength to the ankles as they grow to withstand heavy weights. It concentrates on the glutes, hips, and hamstrings and trains them at a greater depth. Let’s do a rep!
- Stand tall with your legs apart. Do not bend your knees together.
- Pick a dumbbell in each hand and let your hand hang with the weight at the side of your body.
- Sit gradually as your hands are kept undisturbed until the top of the thighs come parallel to the ground. As you lower your body, push your hips back.
- Rise and come back to your original position.
3. Step Ups
Even though there are many exercises emerging to keep your body fit and healthy, nothing can match climbing steps. Similar to that, there is another exercise which is called as a step-up.
- Stand tall with your palm facing the sides of your thighs. Hold a dumbbell of your preferred weight in both of your hands.
- Place your right foot on an elevated flat desk so that your thighs and lower leg form a right angle.
- Leave your hands undisturbed and step the right foot up onto the desk and pull your entire body on the desk.
- Now, place your left leg back on the floor. Bring back your right leg to the floor.
4. Front Squats
Front squats are also exercises which concentrate on the muscles of the lower body like quads, hamstrings, and glutes. Compared to all other types of squats this front squat might be a little difficult to perform. But still, let’s try it.
- Stand tall with both of your legs placed apart.
- Load each hand with a dumbbell and place the head of the dumbbell on the shoulder muscle.
- Keep your elbows as high as possible.
- Sit gradually by moving your upper torso in front bracing the abs, and push your hip back; stay there when the top of your thighs align parallel to the ground.
- Come back to the default position and repeat it.
The name of this workout move seems to be deadly but, in reality, it is very easy to follow and perform. It is a simple workout which tones the muscles of the shoulders and your back. Let’s do some now.
- Stand tall with your legs placed apart.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand in front of your body.
- Without bending your elbow, bring both the dumbbell down without rounding your back
- Come back to the default position and repeat.
6. Bulgarian Split Squat
A Bulgarian split squat is a somewhat complex squat which concentrates on the lower part of the body and sculpts the muscle with perfect curves.
- Stand tall with a dumbbell in both the hands hanging on both the sides of the body.
- Place one of your foot on a desk with the height of the knee with its base facing upwards.
- Keep the other foot with the proper grip on the ground to maintain balance
- Now, lower your body and let the knee of the leg on the desk near the ground. Pause there.
- Gradually come back to the default position.
7. Alternating Dumbbell Lunge
The alternating dumbbell lunge is a spectacular work out which has been done by many experts in the gym as it gives a perfectly shaped lower body muscle.
- Stand tall and hold a dumbbell in each hand facing the sides of your thighs.
- Place your right leg forward and lower your body until your knee is about to touch the ground.
- Keep your torso straight while you do this workout.
- Gradually raise your body and bring back the right leg to the default position.
- Repeat the steps with the left leg.
8. Single Leg Deadlift
This is a simple and relaxing workout which can be done slowly to relax your mind and strengthen your core muscles.
- Stand tall and pick one dumbbell in your right hand. Let the dumbbell be kept right in front of your thigh facing the body.
- Lower the upper torso. Meanwhile, your dumbbell will also get lowered. Lift your left leg and stretch it backward as you lower the dumbbell
- Bring back the dumbbell the left leg to the default position simultaneously.
- Repeat the steps to do several reps.
9. Weighted Donkey Kick
Even though the name of this workout seems to be funny, it can be easily understood how it got its name. However, you can only experience it when you do it.
- Stand like an animal, on all fours, with the hands below the shoulders and knees below the hip
- Place a dumbbell of appropriate weight behind the knee. Hold the dumbbell in its position with your lower leg.
- Lift your leg back side by concentrating your core to get your hip and thighs sculpted.
10. Hamstring Curl
Hamstrings are the muscles at the back of the thighs following the gluteus. True to the name of this workout it concentrates on the calves and hamstrings in your leg.
- Lie on a flat bench with your chest facing down.
- Hold your legs together and hang a dumbbell of appropriate weight at the arches of the feet.
- Lift the dumbbell by bending your knees.
- Do several reps to attain attractive results.